Call for Expressions of Interest
Postdoc Fellow Positions
in “Geoinformatics/GeoWeb 2.0”
The GEOCROWD project (www.geocrowd.eu) offers PostDoctoral Fellow positions at the National Technical University of Athens, Greece in the area of “efficient data management for uncertain user-contributed geospatial data”.
The duration of the position is 1 year with the possibility of renewal.
The GEOCROWD Project
The positions are funded by the European Commission under the Marie Curie Initial Training Network Programme (ITN) project GEOCROWD (http://www.geocrowd.eu). The project’s aim is to establish a fertile research environment by means of a training network that will promote the GeoWeb 2.0 vision and advance the state of the art in collecting, storing, analyzing, processing, reconciling, and making large amounts of semantically rich user-generated geospatial information available on the Web. The project started in 12/2010 and will finish in 11/2014.
The following universities are participating in the project: Universität Bremen, Germany – Prof. Christian Freksa (Cognitive Systems Group), Freie Universität Berlin, Germany – Prof. Jochen Schiller and Prof. Agnes Voisard, Aarhus Universitet, Denmark – Prof. Christian S. Jensen, ETH Zürich, Switzerland – Prof. Gustavo Alonso, National University of Ireland Maynooth, Ireland – Dr. Alexei Pozdnoukhov (National Center for Geocomputation) and the University of St. Andrews, UK – Prof. Stewart Fotheringham.
RESEARCH and RESPONSIBILITIES
GeoWeb 2.0 is the geographic embodiment of the Web 2.0 moniker for the next generation Web, that is, it is a term the next generation of geographic information publishing, discovery and use. Related to this area the research in GEOCROWD focuses on (i) exploiting user-contributed geospatial data, (ii) Web-geodata management, (iii) efficient means for data collection and dissemination, e.g., mobile computing, and (iv) innovative uses for such data.
Your responsibility will include the following tasks:
- Research in the area of efficient data management for uncertain user-contributed geospatial data
- Conducting joint research with the members of the group
- Supervision of diploma students and assisting in the supervision of doctoral students
- Organization of scientific events
We expect from a successful candidate
- to have a Ph.D. in computer science or a related field
- with research experience in one or more of the following areas (in order of importance): spatial databases, query processing and indexing, AI, large-scale data management, and spatial and temporal reasoning, and
- to have excellent English language skills.
Marie Curie fellows enjoy good salaries and working conditions, career development opportunities and work-life balance. More specifically, the financial support of Marie Curie ITN to the Experienced Researchers (postdocs) includes:
- a considerable monthly living and mobility allowance,
- a yearly travel allowance (i.e., a fixed amount of money based upon the direct distance between the location of origin of the researcher and the place of work),
- a career exploratory allowance (i.e., a single payment for attending job interviews, additional courses, job fairs, etc.), and
- coverage of the expenses related to the participation in research and training activities (contribution to research-related costs, meetings, conference attendance, training actions, etc.).
The DBLAB at the National Technical University of Athens headed by Prof. Sellis (http://web.dbnet.ntua.gr) aims to conduct research in the areas of data management and large-scale information systems. The group closely collaborates with the Institute of Management Information Systems (IMIS), Research Center “ATHENA” (http://www.imis.athena-innovation.gr). Both teams are located in Athens, Greece.
HOW TO APPLY?
To communicate your expression of interest, please send
- your curriculum vitae and
- a research statement
by email to Dr. Dieter Pfoser (pfoser at imis dot athena-innovation dot gr).
While expressions of interest are accepted on a continuous basis, applications received by
>>>April 27, 2012<<<
will be considered in the first evaluation cycle.
- About the project: http://www.geocrowd.eu
- Questions? Send an email to pfoser at imis dot athena-innovation dot gr